Mango and kohlrabi go great together as in this mango kohlrabi salad. I love raw kohlrabi because of its crunch and refreshing taste whereas I love mango because of its sweetness and exceptional aroma.
Another variant of this salad is more common in Germany: carrot mango salad. I love that too but this version with kohlrabi is my favorite. Salads with mango are so very refreshing as a side for grilled meat.
It’s important that you massage the salad well so that the mango and kohlrabi release some of their juices to make this salad moist and to allow the flavors to mingle. If you don’t have any fresh herbs on hand for sprinkling on top of the salad, then skip them. I love the flavor combination of basil and mango but this salad is flavorful enough by itself to be eaten without basil and mint.
Mango Kohlrabi Salad (‘Mango Kohlrabi Salat’)
For the salad:
- 1 mango, peeled and slivers
- 1 kohlrabi, peeled and cut into slivers
- salt, to taste
For the vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 1-2 teaspoons finely minced ginger, more or less to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- a handful of spearmint leaves
- a handful of basil leaves
- In a mixing bowl, combine the mango and kohlrabi and season to taste with salt. Whisk together the vinaigrette in a separate bowl until the sugar is fully dissolved. Add the vinaigrette to the mango kohlrabi mixture and massage well to slightly soften the kohlrabi and to release some juices. Leave the salad to marinate for at least 15 minutes so the vinaigrette has some time to pull moisture out of the salad.
- Shortly before serving, add the mint and basil leaves to your salad and mix well. Adjust the seasoning with extra lemon juice, sugar, or salt if necessary and serve immediately.